TEDxParklandsWomen – Call for Speakerstedmin
TED is a nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks. TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment, and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics — from science to business to global issues — in more than 100 languages.
TEDx brings the spirit of TED’s mission of ideas worth spreading to local communities around the globe. TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience, discover ideas and spark conversations in their own community.
The organizers of TEDxParklands are excited to announce the details of its first edition of TEDxParklandsWomen scheduled to take place on 7 December 2019.
Our aspirational theme Bold+Brilliant – Without Apology mirrors the global TEDWomen Conference taking place from 4-6 December 2019 in Palm Springs, California.
TEDxParklandsWomen will be shining a spotlight on dazzling ideas from some of Nairobi’s most extraordinary risk-takers and innovators. Celebrating pioneers making power moves, brilliant people who are just getting started, and those who tirelessly show up as allies and advocates.
We are inviting nominations for TEDxParklandsWomen speakers to encourage you to be part of ideas worth spreading and to provide a platform for individuals to bring their unique ideologies to the stage. To ensure a diverse discussion we are looking for 10 speakers under the following categories designed to capture some of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and drive an inclusive and well-rounded conversation:
- Corporate Sensations
- Fashion, Arts, Media & Entertainment (FAME)
- Gender Equality
- Good Health & Wellbeing
- Peace, Justice & Strong Institutions
- Sustainability and Environmental Conservation
- Technology, Industry & Innovation
- Youth Culture
It should be noted that individuals can nominate themselves or others. We accept nominations in various submission formats as described in the nomination forms. These include written publications or links to videos or other material that can give our selection committee a sense of the speaker and the idea they champion.
All our speakers receive an intensive 8-week coaching program with our speaker coach who is a seasoned toastmaster. It is therefore necessary that nominated individuals be available to attend the coaching sessions that take place and that will be communicated to the selected speakers.
Our event celebrates Gender, Diversity and Inclusion and therefore we invite speakers of ALL genders and ages.
Our selection criterion is based purely on the quality of the idea presented. The deadline for nominating speakers for TEDxParklandsWomen is 5th September 2019. However, the speaker nomination form on our website remains open for nominations to other events and initiatives as detailed below:
- TEDxParklands – An event held annually in May featuring a diverse array of talks, not limited to one subject.
- TEDxParklandsSalon – Smaller events to keep our community engaged between larger events.
- TEDxYouth@Parklands – an event geared to discuss pertinent issues related to youth affairs and development
Other avenues of collaboration with TEDxParklandsWomen include:
- Partnerships, Vendors and Exhibitions – tell us how and why you would like to work with us. What we value most is a long term view and co-creating unique experiences for our attendees. We accept in-kind and cash sponsorships and partnerships. Please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Art, Performances, Music and Film – Are you an artist and would like to help us design our stage or venue? Would you like to perform on our stage and share your music, poems, spoken word or Dance? Do you have a film you would like featured as part of our FilmFestival? Whatever you have in mind we welcome creatives to engage with us.
- Idea Submission – Do you have a written publication or thought leadership that you would like us to feature on our Medium publication?Submit it here for us to share it with the world.
- Volunteer – our team is lean and we appreciate onboarding individuals who can help us deliver a great event based on their skillset. We work in 7 sub-teams i.e.
- Design and Photography
- Event Management
- Finance and Legal
- Media Relations (PR, Communications, Editorials and Marketing)
- Operations and Logistics
- Partnerships and Sponsorships
- Video and Production
- Website and Technology
TEDxParklandsWomen activities are coordinated by a diverse team of local organizers and volunteers who are united by a desire to use inspired thinkers as drivers of change through sharing ideas.
Author’s note: This article first appeared here